Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-07

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Dec 7 18:57:24 GMT 2010

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/12/07/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]
<<BR>>
[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 07 Dec, 2010|20101207 Meeting Agenda]]

=== ARM Status  ===
  * Marvel (mvl-dove)
    * Nothing new this week.
  * Texas Instruments (ti-omap)
    * Tim uploaded 2.6.35 ti-omap4 kernel to Natty branch
    * Linaro Natty kernel can boot up on both OMAP3 and OMAP4 boards with the same
      Natty minimal root filesystem.
    * Bug 633227: On-The-Going.
      - I found the same issue on Linaro 2.6.37 based Natty kernel, which is close to mainline for OM
      - So, mainline also has the highmem issue for OMAP4 SMP system

=== Release Metrics  ===
Release Meeting Bugs (5 bugs, 14 Blueprints)
==== Alpha 2 Milestoned Bugs (18 across all packages) ====
  * 1 linux kernel bugs
  * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs
  * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug
==== Release Targeted Bugs (126 across all packages (up 23)) ====
  * 9 linux kernel bugs (up 4)
  * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)
==== Milestoned Features ====
  * 6 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)
==== Maverick Updates Bugs ====
  * 52 Linux Bugs
==== Lucid Updates Bugs ====
  * 111 Linux Bugs
==== Bugs with Patches Attached:140 (down 2) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on | Bugs with Patches]]
  * [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/csv-stats/bugs-with-patches/linux/ | Breakdown by status]]
I added 2 new items to the above metrics. The Lucid and Maverick updates milestoned bugs. I think that these
may be useful for some of you, such as the SRU Team. I am open to your feedback.

=== Blueprints: Natty Bug Handling  ===
Nothing to report. All inprogress work items are still in various states of flight. :)

=== Blueprints: Kernel Configuration Review  ===
HZ report has now been produced, it is showing that moving HZ from 100 to 1000 has a between 10-12% CPU overhead under high load, rendering it unsuitable for any sort of server workload, further analysis of these results ongoing.  All other changes are
applied an uploaded.

=== Blueprints: Enhancements to the firmware test suite  ===
Changes to fwts (natty development branch):
  * klog: IO APIC IRQ kernel log checks, use more regexs to allow fuzzier [Firmware] bug checking
  * fix ARM and PowerPC FTBFS
  * add --lp-tags-log, -j, --json-data-path, -u, -utils options
  * expand --lp-tags tagging to all applicable tests
  * Initial UEFI support:
  *   detection for BIOS/UEFI firmware
  *   rename e820dump to memmapdump as it applies to UEFI too
  *   e820 lib reworked for BIOS + UEFI firmware
  *   smbios test: fix for UEFI
  * fwts USB stick image: reworked to use latest fwts dev version, tweak dialog progress bar

=== Blueprints: Handling of Deviations from Standard Kernels  ===
Nothing new

===  Blueprints: Review of the Stable Maintenance Process (sconklin / bjf) ===
The Stable kernel team has prepared and uploaded
kernels for all supported releases. These contain
a number of non-critical CVEs.
<<BR>><<BR>>
These kernels are all built, and are awaiting copying
to the -proposed pocket, at which time the Verification
phase of the kernel release will begin. This is part
of the process described here:
<<BR>><<BR>>
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/StableReleaseCadence
<<BR>><<BR>>
I expect that these kernels will be in -proposed by
tomorrow, possibly within hours of now.
<<BR>><<BR>>
We have been developing and refining tools and processes
as we go, and this has been the biggest challenge in
the new process. All changes are being documented on
The wiki page linked above
<<BR>><<BR>>
It's possible that this release can be published by
Dec 17th, depending on testing resources and when we
begin verification testing.
<<BR>><<BR>>
It is unlikely that we will begin another stable
kernel cycle before the beginning of next year.
<<BR>><<BR>>

===  Security & bugfix kernels - Maverick/Lucid/Karmic/Hardy/Dapper (sconklin / bjf) ===
||                         || Upd./Sec.     || Proposed      || TiP || Verified    ||
|| Dapper: Kernel          || 2.6.15-55.89  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| Hardy:  Kernel          || 2.6.24-28.81  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       LRM             || 2.6.24.18-28.7||               ||     ||             ||
|| Karmic: Kernel          || 2.6.31-22.69  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       mvl-dove        || 2.6.31-214.32 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       ec2             || 2.6.31-307.21 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| Lucid:  Kernel          || 2.6.32-26.48  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       LBM             || 2.6.32-25.24  || 2.6.32-26.25  ||     ||             ||
|| =       mvl-dove        || 2.6.32-209.27 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       fsl-imx51       || 2.6.31-608.19 || 2.6.31-608.20 ||     ||             ||
|| =       ec2             || 2.6.32-309.18 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| = lts-backport-maverick || 2.6.35.22.34  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| Maverick: Kernel        || 2.6.35-23.41  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       mvl-dove        || 2.6.32-410.27 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       ti-omap4        || 2.6.35-903.18 ||               ||     ||             ||

=== Blueprints: Ubuntu Kernel Delta Review  ===
14 of the 19 personal patch reviews are now done. The remainder have been pushed out to natty-alpha-2, but none are release critical.

=== Blueprints: Kernel Version and Flavours  ===
Preliminary uploads of ti-omap4 branches for Natty have now occured, this will form a basis for the natty development.  Still waiting on ARM CD image testing.  A number of minor work items moved out from natty-alpha-1.

The main distro kernel is now at 2.6.37-8.21 (v2.6.37-rc4 based).  This kernel brings fixes for a large number of 'boots to black' failure modes with the grub2 graphical handoff.  Testing on the graphics boot changes is looking good on this kernel.
v2.6.37-rc5 has already released and will be uploaded shortly.

=== Incoming Bugs: Regressions  ===
Incoming Bugs
  32 Natty Bugs (up 13)
  1113 Maverick Bugs (up 25)
  1110 Lucid Bugs (up 1)
Current regression stats (broken down by release):
==== regression-update ====
   * 25 maverick bugs (up 2)
   * 83 lucid bugs (up 2)
   * 6 karmic bugs (no change)
   * 0 hardy bugs (no change)
==== regression-release ====
   * 175 maverick bugs (up 8)
   * 198 lucid bugs (down 1)
   * 40 karmic bugs (no change)
   * 2 hardy bugs (no change)
==== regression-proposed ====
   * 13 maverick bugs (no change)
   * 6 lucid bugs (no change)
   * 1 karmic bug (no change)

=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report  ===
Today's bug day is covering regression-update bugs. I sent the wrong information earlier today,
but there are 118 bugs that need to be looked at, the majority of which will need to be tested
against the latest released version and the current version in development. I sent out an e-mail
today concerning the day. I've also posted a blog post on our voices page as a reminder.
The next bug day will be next week. I'd like for that one to focus on regression-proposed bugs
since the ones that I have on my list have been there too long to be seriously considered as legitimate
bugs in the proposed queue. I'm open to your feedback and will plan to send out the details if
everyone agrees on this focus.

=== Triage Status  ===
I have been given further guidance on Bugs with patches by pete and I have begun, albeit slowly, to move
through that set of bugs. I hope to have a significant portion of them addressed this week so that
the reporting item above should reflect a noticeable difference.
I am continuing to work on the script gathering bugs based on a tag as well as the overall hot list
script and the script that replaces a tag with another. All of those efforts are intertwined since
the logic is very similar. I expect to have some of them finished by the end of this week barring
any major roadblocks. :)

=== Open Discussion or Questions: Raise your hand to be recognized  ===
  * Are the uploads going to make it to -proposed this week?
    * The SRU team is actively working on them as we speak

--
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com