Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.dk
Mon Aug 30 07:56:06 BST 2010

On 26/08/2010, at 17.28, Marc Deslauriers wrote:

> That is exactly the thing we should avoid. We _don't_ want
> unprivileged
> users to install new applications. On a single user desktop, the user
> already has the necessary privileges to install applications. On a
> multiuser system you may not want the user to have those privileges. I
> have privileges to install applications on my Android phone, why
> shouldn't I require privileges on my desktop?

In the old days of UNIX, all applications in /bin and /usr/bin were
owned by a non-privileged user "bin", _except_ the ones that
specifically needed root privileges. These days, in all distributions
of Linux that I know of, all applications are owned by root, no matter
if they need special privileges or not. The wisdom of that approach
has   always puzzled me.

Cheers,
Morten