Proposing Removal of the Offline Browser Startpage

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 29 16:08:55 BST 2010

Hi,

On 19 August 2010 08:05, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> If there is broad agreement, I'd like to remove the offline browser
> startpage from ubuntu-docs. Unfortunately, I'm going to need a little
> help, because my knowledge of packaging isn't good enough to know how
> to achieve this. Since Dapper, a system of alternatives has been put
> in place for the offline startpage to allow derivatives to install
> their own - documented here [1]. For that reason I'm not sure that
> simply removing the files from ubuntu-docs (which I am capable of
> doing on my own :p) will be sufficient. I'd love some guidance on how
> to proceed with this.
>
> Once that is achieved, the only remaining step is to configure all the
> various browsers to point at the online startpage.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperFirefoxStartPageTranslation

I don't think that there were any objections to this proposal, and
I've had a go at removing the offline startpage from ubuntu-docs with
this revision to the ubuntu-docs bzr branch:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc/ubuntu-docs/maverick/revision/560

However as I expected I'll need some advice on how best to clean up
the update-alternatives because the removal of the files has left some
stray broken symlinks in /usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home and in
/etc/alternatives/firefox-homepage*. Could someone give me some advice
about the best way to remove these?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org