Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Aug 26 14:06:00 BST 2010

On Thursday, August 26, 2010 07:14:24 am Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:57:27AM +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > > we will drop the barrier for app developers, not to concentrate on
> > > package building
> >
> > My understanding is that with Quickly, it is already a one-click process
> > to upload to a PPA.  The obstacle to be overcome is now how to get the
> > contents of that PPA reviewed and added the main distribution, with
> > another click.
>
> Yes...but why should someone use Quickly alone?
>
> Think about all the new nifty c# developer fraction...
> Java app developer etc.
>
> I think we shouldn't restrict app devs to quickly :)

Perhaps not to Quickly, but we will need to define a standard set of
technologies that this class of application can use.  By making some
opinionated choices around the development tech that is supported, we can make
it a lot easier for reviewers to get a good handle on a package rapidly.  I
think this will also be an important part of making the process light and fast
(this also helps with the limited resources to do reviews problem).

Scott K