Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Thu Aug 26 11:57:27 BST 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> we will drop the barrier for app developers, not to concentrate on
> package building

My understanding is that with Quickly, it is already a one-click process to
upload to a PPA.  The obstacle to be overcome is now how to get the contents
of that PPA reviewed and added the main distribution, with another click.

. . .

If we define a leaf-node .debs (.ldeb?) as being a very constrained subset
of .deb (no maintainer scripts, no suid, limited paths) then all the
existing infrastructure tool we have also just works (from dpkg-deb to
REVU) and it's entirely a question of automated tools putting things into
that format.

If the subset is strict enough, we should also be able to have also
installed/extracted to a user's home directory.  Thinking sandboxing, but at
the package format level.

	-Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three.  Somewhere, GB.