Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 02:22:26 BST 2010

On Friday, August 20, 2010 06:35:39 pm Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I think that is because as long as the deliverable is a Debian package that
> runs as root it's not possible to get significantly lighter weight than
> what we already are.

And at this point, you remind me of relocatable RPMs.  When I learned about
those, I thought they were really cool, and it seems to me that a relocatable
deb is something that would be fantastic for this usecase since it could be
installed in the user's home directory.  Of course, debs can't be relocated
(yet), but details, details...

There is a point where OSX gets it right with those .dmg files that you can
just keep sitting on your desktop and run.  I have a ~/Applications/ directory
on my user account at school to get access to various Free Software apps the
school doesn't preinstall.

--
Mackenzie Morgan