Technical Architect of Ubuntu was Re: Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Wed Aug 18 16:25:01 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 10:38 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, August 16, 2010 09:11:20 pm Allison Randal wrote:
> > [1] I wasn't directly involved in either Quickly or PostReleaseApps. I
> > just started last week as Technical Architect of Ubuntu.
>
> This is the first I've heard Ubuntu had a technical architect.  I guess this is
> a new role.  I'd be interested to hear about what the technical architect will
> do and how you expect this to impact Ubuntu development?

First of all, we are incredibly lucky to have Allison Randall joining
us. Here's her web site:
www.lohutok.net

I'll let her follow up with a more detailed introduction when she has
her feet on the ground and feels ready.

In the meantime, naturally the position was posted to the Ubuntu job
boards. It's gone now, of course, but the job description gives some
sense of what we are looking for from the role:

*Title - Technical Architect*

Reports to: Ubuntu Engineering Director

As a core leader on the Ubuntu Platform Engineering team the Technical
Architect will work on a broad range of technical management tasks
including driving development, quality, and delivery of Ubuntu to
millions of users worldwide. This role will play a key development and
integration role across essential Canonical supported products such as
Ubuntu Desktop Edition, Ubuntu Server Edition and Ubuntu Netbook Edition
as well as community developed derivatives such as Kubuntu. The
successful candidate will be highly driven, detail oriented, possessive
of technical depth,  stellar communication skills, and possess a proven
track record of delivering software on time and to specification.

Cheers, Rick