Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:31:08 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I think many of us agree that our current developer processes are simply
> *too heavy* for application authors who want to get their apps
> visibility in Ubuntu Software Center -- as one such example, I wrote
> Lernid and if I didn't know didrocks who could help get it packaged, I
> would have never have been able to get Lernid visible in Ubuntu Software
> Center without engaging in a set of packaging assessment processes that
> are too heavy for me. They are too heavy because our processes are
> design for people who build Operating Systems - as an app author I don't
> want to be an Ubuntu developer, I want to be an app author, but I want
> an on-ramp to harnessing the Ubuntu platform for my app.

You don't need to personally know a developer to get something into
Universe though. You need to know the "needs-packaging" tag exists.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages#Requesting%20a%20new%20package%20for%20Ubuntu

I imagine if the requester says "Hey, by the way, I'm the developer,
and I'll be paying attention to the package's bugs in Launchpad, so
this isn't just fire&forget" that'll take a load off the shoulders of
whomever comes by to package it.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo