Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Aug 16 04:18:24 BST 2010

On Sunday, August 15, 2010 07:32:54 am Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 15.08.2010, 13:08 +0200 schrieb Martin Pitt:
> > Andrew SB [2010-08-13 15:23 -0400]:
> > > Who is responsible for pushing these new apps to the development
> > > release?
> >
> > The author/packager of the software. AFAICS the main point of this
> > process was to avoid having to push a lot of "fire'n'forget" apps into
> > universe.
>
> I share the concerns raised in the previous discussion, but this point
> made me rethink it. REVU lacks man power and getting new packages in
> universe has always the risk of adding one rotten package to the
> archive. That's one reason for me to give the sponsors queue a higher
> priority than REVU. Having the package in the apps repo for one release
> and the author comes back for the next release show me that there are
> sustained interests in getting the app into Ubuntu.
>
> One thing to improve REVU and compensate the lack of manpower is to work
> on the most important packages. How do we get the important packages?
> Let the user vote for them by using "bug affects me too" in Launchpad
> for the corresponding packaging bug. REVU could extract the closed LP
> bugs and get this number from Launchpad. Do you like my idea?

I think prioritization is important.  Myself I'm more interested in
prioritizing based on the history of the person that wants the package
uploaded.  If I had an easy way to find out who had had stuff uploaded before
and kept their packages up to date, I'd be motivated to focus on reviewing
packages for such people.

Scott K