Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Sat Aug 14 00:14:48 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 17:59 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> One question I've missed an answer to is how packaging is supposed to be
> easier in this new process.  I understand that, since these are leaf packages,
> not libraries, etc., these may be easier packages than some others, but what I
> don't understand is how packaging for this new target is easier or simpler
> than packaging the same application for Ubuntu?  I'm not trying to be hostile
> here, I just don't understand how what's proposed meets the stated goal.
I don't know that there are different packaging requirements per se,
I'll have to leave that to one of the technical implementors to answer.

I think it's more that the whole process is easier from the view point
of the target user (who in this case is a potential application
developer). Get your app into a PPA (which is easy if you use Quickly),
ask for it to be reviewed, it shows up in software center on the stable
release.

Also, they're not just leaf node apps, they are also simple apps, so
easier to review, but I don't think that was part of your question.

Cheers, Rick