Request For Candidates: Application Review Board

William Grant wgrant at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 13 23:17:24 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:53 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 13:05 -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> > >
> > > In what way is this new process simpler and less involved?
> It is significantly less involved. As an application developer, if you
> can get your application into a PPA, you can then get it into Software
> Center. If you use Quickly to build your app, it's easy to get your app
> into a PPA.
>
> These differences may seem slight to people who are already highly
> skilled packages and who are motu or core-dev. But we must understand
> that the barrier to entry in terms of technical skills to contribute to
> Ubuntu as a platform is much much higher than the barrier of entry to
> create a web app or deliver an app to the iPhone for example.

There are two main barriers to getting through REVU:

 1) Low-quality packaging. This restriction cannot be safely eliminated
    for your proposal -- it exists for a very good reason.

 2) Lack of manpower. Your proposal is only going to make this worse, by
    splitting it across two systems with the same purpose.

> You can use this process to deliver it to the *current release* that you
> developed it for, you don't have to wait 6+ months for the next release
> to roll around, and you don't have to master the skills for packaging
> and delivering into universe.

Backports.

> > Not to speak for Jono, but I was thinking that this was less about
> > getting into the archives and more about choosing "Featured
> > Applications" and the default applications on the CD.  The problem in
> > the past is that it's been basically the Desktop Team manager that has
> > chosen.  Where as the goal was to have a community process for choosing
> > between things like F-Spot and Shotwell for instance.
> >

> No, it's not about that. This is about releasing new application onto a
> stable release. This was discussed in considerable depth before, during,
> and after UDS.
> https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-maverick-opportunistic-apps-stable-release

Backports is also for releasing new applications onto a stable release.
A few improvements there would make them just about equivalent to your
proposal, with a lot less effort.

> Jono is asking for volunteers for this:
> https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-m-post-release-app-process
>
> As you can see, significant effort has already been invested to making
> this work, and that work is nearing completion.
>
> This is probably the most exciting feature to me in Maverick. It will
> make Ubuntu a relevant target platform for a whole new batch of
> application developers that will be inspired to write FOSS applications.
>
> Note that these application developers we are thinking about are a user
> who is different in kind then the developers who build Ubuntu itself. If
> you are currently writing web pages or iPhone applications, then you may
> want to write an application to run on Ubuntu, even if you have not the
> time, ability, or interest to contribute to Ubuntu as a platform.
> Starting in Maverick, you will be able to do so.

How does this change things? Packaging quality still has to be
excellent, and the quality of packaging is the main thing that REVU
checks.

> This is awesome.

Awesome? Perhaps. Able to be achieved better through backports? Almost
certainly.