moreutils: an 'errno' utility

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 11 20:36:36 BST 2010

Hi Joey,

I have contributed a small utility (and manpage) called "errno" to
Debian/Ubuntu's ubuntu-dev-tools package.  Several people have
suggested [1] that this utility might have a better home in your
moreutils project.  I didn't originally submit it to moreutils because
most of those tools appear to do their work on stdin.

In any case, it's a ~10 line shell script that takes one or more
strings on the command line, and looks for a matching POSIX error
codes, error names, or error descriptions.  It's useful, as a
developer on a command line, to work your way to and from error tuples
of codes/names/descriptions.  People have suggested rewriting it in
Python, which can be done easily.  And many, many people have written
their own grep hacks to do the same [2].

So I'm curious if this is something you're willing and interested in
taking into moreutils?  I'm happy to adjust the copyright/license if
necessary.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2010-August/031109.html
[2] http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/07/cogito-errno-sum.html

Thanks,