Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes - 08/03/2010

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Aug 3 19:20:54 BST 2010

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/08/03/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]
[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 03 Aug, 2010|20100803 Meeting Agenda]]

=== ARM Status  ===
* Marvel (mvl-dove)
   * GIT PULL : GIT PULL has been sent out for review
   * PATCH    : 92 delta patches have been identified and rebased on top of our mvl-dove tip
   * MISC     : Received update from Marvell for Dove LSP 5.3.2
* Freescale (fsl-imx51)
   * MISC     : Freescale are helping to figure out the root cause of the bricked boards
   * PATCH    : We have a patch to fix a PMIC issue. Related to above
* Texas Instruments (ti-omap)
   * GIT PULL : TIs pull request has been rejected by rtg due to coding style issues
   * PATCH    : 240+ patches received from TI. Fully tested and works fine
   * ON GOING : B591941 disabling CONFIG_CPU_FREQ and CONFIG_CPU_IDLE cures the issue
   * WONT FIX : B571663 this hardware is not supported by us and we have no spare time to help

=== Release Metrics ===
==== Bugs ====
Release Meeting Bugs (3 bugs, 9 Blueprints)
==== Alpha 3 Milestoned Bugs (21 across all packages (down 19)) ====
  * 1 linux kernel bugs (down 2)
  * 0 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  * 1 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)
==== Release Targeted Bugs (129 across all packages (up 2)) ====
  * 25 linux kernel bugs (up 1)
  * 2 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
  * 2 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
  * 2 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  * 1 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)

==== Milestoned Features ====
  * 14 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)

==== Bugs with Patches Attached:128 (up 3) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on | Bugs with Patches]]
  * [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/csv-stats/bugs-with-patches/linux/ | Breakdown by status]]

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-apparmor  ===
AppArmor has been pulled into security-next, and from there merged into linux-next.
There are still some userspace log parsing fixes and cleanups to finish off

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-misc  ===
Nothing new to report. (This agenda item will be removed)

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-new-kernel-on-lts  ===
Tracking Maverick. I'm seeing quite a bit of interest lately, both for server issues as well as desktop.

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-pv-ops-ec2-kernel  ===
Maverick EC2 images are now using the -virtual kernel with pv-ops. This is working fairly well with the caveat of a few bugs
Bug #613022, Bug #606373, Bug #612875
  * [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/613022 | Launchpad bug 613022 in openssh (Ubuntu) "ssh daemon hangs after publickey packet sent" [Undecided,New] ]]
  * [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/606373 | Launchpad bug 606373 in cloud-init (Ubuntu) "cloud-init output does not get to console when booted with pv-grub and ramdisk" [High,Confirmed] ]]
  * [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/612875 | Launchpad bug 612875 in linux (Ubuntu) "-virtual kernel in EC2 only boots from pv-grub " [Undecided,New] ]]
I am still investigating the pv-on-hvm drivers

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-ubuntu-delta-review  ===
Nothing new to report this week. (This agenda item will be removed)

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-config-review  ===
Nothing new to report this week. (This agenda item will be removed)

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bug-handling  ===
Noting new to report.

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-upstart  ===
Readahead tracking patches are now applied to maverick and uploaded.  We also committed some grub framebuffer handling patches to help with the clean boot.

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bios-test-automation  ===
  * fwts 0.17.2 in maverick universe
  * few minor bug fixes, PPA version 0.17.4
  * automated build of USB stick image to run fwts tests

2.6.35 final was released over the weekend.  As a result we did a last minute rebase and upload for Maverick, ie 2.6.35-14.19.  This is what will be included in the Alpha3 images.  Please test.
Alpha 3 is this Thurs Aug 5th.  We are still above our Alpha 3 burn down chart's trend line.  If you still have open Alpha 3 work items that will not be completed by EOD tomorrow, push the item(s) out to -beta or mark it POSTPONED if it appears it won't be
completed this cycle.
  * [[http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-kernel-team-maverick-alpha-3.html | Kernel team, alpha 3, burndown chart ]]
  * [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Maverick#Milestone maverick-alpha-3 | Task items details ]]

=== Security & bugfix kernels - Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy/Others  ===
Nothing changed since last week.

=== Incoming Bugs and Regressions ===
==== Incoming Bugs: ====
||<-2 tablestyle="width:  35%;")>                   ||
||<:> '''Version'''      ||<:> '''Count'''          ||
||Maverick               ||<:>201 (+30)             ||
||Lucid                  ||<:>1124 (+25)            ||

==== Current regression stats: ====
||<-5 tablestyle="width: 100%;")>                                                                                                   ||
||<:> '''Version'''     ||<:> '''Potential'''      ||<:> '''Update'''         ||<:> '''Release'''        ||<:> '''Proposed'''       ||
|| maverick             ||<:> 111 (+5)             ||<:>                      ||<:>                      ||<:>                      ||
|| lucid                ||<:> 226 (+5:)            ||<:> 43 (+3)              ||<:> 181 (+8)             ||<:> 4 (+2)               ||
|| karmic               ||<:>                      ||<:> 6                    ||<:> 44                   ||<:> 1                    ||

=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report  ===
The Bug Day for this week was cancelled due to sickness on my part over the last week. It was not announced, so I opted not to have it. I will send out a notice for the Bug Day for next week today.  We will be focused on bugs that have been incorrectly set
to the New state as well as removing duplicates on those we encounter that are not a complete hardware match. A secondary focus will be on tagging them with the relevant subsystem. We will continue to have the Team Bug Day to address the Top 50 list as
half days on Friday and Monday, as these seem to be working out very well. Reviewers, please take a look at your needs-review lists and help us keep the process moving.

=== Open Discussion or Questions ===
  * A 'Triage Status' agenda item will be added to the regular meeting agenda. This time will be spent recognizing triagers and discuss triage issues.
--
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com