Getting stuff backported is too hard

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 1 14:59:29 BST 2010

On Sunday 01,August,2010 01:28 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> There are many cases where PPA is the best solution because only users that
> want that particular package will get it.  That makes PPAs great for people
> who are focused on one package and want the latest when such packages might
> not be suitable for general use.

I believe that adding a $release-backports pin to a lower priority in
/etc/apt/preferences.d by default, or if backports are enabled, should emulate
PPA behaviour. Perhaps this could be protected by an extra checkbox, "install
backports updates by default" or something.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin