continuous integration/testing for python packages [Was: Is it worth back porting PEP 3147...]

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at
Tue Apr 27 21:09:47 BST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:07:51AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> There's also buildbot of course, which I guess it the granddad of Python CI
> tools, kind of.

Yes, buildbot is the old-timer and has loads of features. As far as I
know, extracting information out of buildbot is more difficult than it
is with a tool like Apycot that's built on top of CubicWeb.

> Are there things like a API (REST or otherwise) for pulling data out of
> apycot?

Sure, that's a basic functionnality of CubicWeb.

For example, just take any url and append vid=xml

If the data that's extracted isn't what you expect, file a ticket at and the 'xml' view will be enhanced.

As you could read from the
views you apply to data sets are not restricted to producing html or
xml, they can also directly produce json or pdf, graphs, etc.

Other examples of the view mechanism would be the ones that use a
specific vocabulary as in

In short, CubicWeb was *designed* to publish its data under reusable
formats, html being just one way to present data.

Maybe we can restrict this part of the discussion to the cubicweb
mailing list ?

> I'm not familiar with,

__pkginfo__ is a declarative format used at Logilab.

> We need a declarative syntax that can be consumed by more tools,
> which is why I'm so excited about Tarek's work in distutils-sig.

I agree, Tarek's work is a great improvement over the current

> Is there a wiki or online documentation documenting these tools, or is it all
> in the source?

It is mainly in the source. You will find several people that will be
happy to help if you ask your questions on python-projects at

> Is that easy work manual or automated?  What does it take to Debianize
> random-simple-pypi-package?  (By that I mean "run a script" or "inspect
> and write the debian/*" or "...?".

Easy manual work. I'm cc'ing the people that do it often so that they
can provide details. Alexandre, Sylvain ?

Nicolas Chauvat - services en informatique scientifique et gestion de connaissances