Responsiveness testing through dpkg

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Tue Apr 27 19:23:45 BST 2010

On 4/27/2010 12:17 PM, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> The dpkg/fsync change is most certainly causing a massive regression
> in the time it takes to install the Ubuntu Server.  It takes over
> twice as long to install on ext4 over ext3, on the GA-candidate
> images.

Yep, I noticed this as well and reopened bug #537241 because of it last
week.  I suppose a new install does not care if it is hit with this bug,
so probably wants to disable the syncing.  So do things like build
daemons since they will just throw out the chroot and extract the
archive again after a crash anyhow.