Responsiveness testing through dpkg

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 26 22:45:53 BST 2010

Hello all,

I'm interested in doing some desktop responsiveness testing, and I've
found that when I have a large number of packages to install/update it
kills my desktop responsiveness not only during installation, but also
for quite a bit of time afterwards. Desktop responsiveness is a rather
nebulous issue, one that occurs in different situations on different
hardware in different ways. However, apt-get/dpkg seem to do a good
job of causing desktop slowdowns across many configurations :).

What I would like to do is find a good test case I can run on bare
hardware (not in a VM with snapshot capabilities) that is
reproducible. I think doing a reinstallation of a set of packages, say
ubuntu-desktop, would work well. Is there a safe way to do this?

Thanks

-- Chase