binary removals of unbuildable packages in lucid

William Grant wgrant at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 26 23:04:31 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 01:34 +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > At UDS in Dallas, it was proposed that we run a round of removals of those
> > binary packages in universe and multiverse from sources that fail to build in
> > lucid, so that we would enter the LTS release clean and no users would wind
> > up installing binary packages that it would be impossible for us to provide
> > security support for.
> >    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-lucid-supportable-binaries
>
>  Question: what will happen if someone gives back these binaries in a
>  future release and they build because e.g. a build-dep was fixed?  Wont
>  this result in collisions in the filenames or confusion on end-user
>  systems?

The binaries were removed, which means that they existed, which means
that they were built, which means that their build was successful, which
means that it can't be given back. I've just checked the LP source, and
a new build won't even be created when Maverick is created and
initialised.

So, the binaries can never come back with the same version. But yes, if
the same version did come back then clients would be a bit unhappy and
apt-ftparchive would explode.

William