Is it worth back porting PEP 3147 to Python < 3.2?

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Mon Apr 26 17:35:26 BST 2010

Hi Barry,

Nice to see someone of the core python team taking part in
distribution development.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:52:11PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> How much of the transition testing is automated?  It would be very interesting
> for example, to have a test framework that could run any combination of Python
> packages against various versions of Python, and get a report on the success
> or failure of it.  This may not be a project for the distros of course - I
> think upstream Python would be very interested in something like this.  For
> example, a tool that grabbed packages from the Cheeseshop and tested them
> against different versions would be cool.  If snakebite.org ever gets off the
> ground, that might be the best place to put something like this together
> (though we'd care less about OSes that aren't Debian and Ubuntu).

Unfortunately, Logilab does not have a much man-power to offer to set
this up at the moment, but would something like
http://apycot.hg-scm.org/ fit your description of a test framework ?

We also have it running at logilab.org and cubicweb.org of course:
http://www.logilab.org/view?rql=testconfig&vid=summary
http://www.cubicweb.org/view?rql=testconfig&vid=summary

As you can see with these second and third links, tests include
lintian and piuparts checks.

Is it something like this that you had in mind?

--
Nicolas Chauvat