Call for testing: X.org server update [URGENT]

Erik Andersen erik.b.andersen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:24:29 BST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 07:52, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello fellow developers,
>
> On April 15, a major memory leak was introduced into the X.org server
> which causes the computer to get slower and slower over some hours,
> and finally becoming totally sluggish. This is tracked in
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/565981 .
>
> Thanks to the tireless investigations of Robert Hooker and Tormod
> Volden, this was tracked down to a recently added patch which fixed
> some crashes intoduced by the GLX 1.4 enablement patches. A first
> attempt to fixing the memory problem wasn't successful unfortunately,
> and isn't easy.
>
> The safest solution right now is to roll back all three patches. This
> will fix both the memory leak and thus the performance problem, as
> well as avoid the X crashes which were introduced by the GLX 1.4
> enabling.  While we had this combination before, we haven't tested it
> with the current lucid userspace, and thus we need some extensive
> tests on various hardware to get more data about it.
>
> I set up a wiki page to explain how to install the proposed packages
> and for adding feedback:
>
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/GEMLeak
>
> On Friday we will check how much and which kind of feedback we got,
> and depending on that will decide about the risk of putting it into
> Lucid final, or doing an early SRU. (We need testing feedback in
> either case, of course).
>
> Thank you in advance for helping with testing!
>
> Martin
>
> --
Does this affect all hardware or only some hardware? When I try to
reproduce the bug with
for t in `seq 1 10`; do eog /usr/share/backgrounds ; echo `grep
"object bytes" /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects` `ps ocomm,vsz,rss
1020|grep X`; done
I get
grep: /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects: No such file or directory

Thanks,
Erik Andersen