kqemu and Ubuntu

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Tue Apr 13 14:52:54 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 09:09 +0200, Ante Karamatić wrote:
> On 07.04.2010 21:43, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>
> > As discussed at UDS-Lucid in November last year, upstream QEMU has
> > completely dropped support for kqemu, and consequently will not be
> > available in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  The decision has been discussed at
> > length in several bug reports, mailing list posts, and in IRC.  I have
> > compiled a set of FAQs here, to help address the recurring questions:
> >   * http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/04/kqemu-and-ubuntu.html
> >   * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kqemu
>
> OK. So kqemu was dropped, that's fine. But what about systems that don't
> have VT-enabled hardware but would still like to use vmbuilder?
>
> In 8.04 it was possible to use 'ubuntu-vm-builder qemu hardy', but now
> only (forgetting about vmware and xen for a moment) 'vmbuilder kvm
> hardy' works. Without kvm module initialized, this operation fails. I'd
> like to have virtualized systems inside of already virtualized system
> (therefor, no hardware acceleration). Errors:
>
> libvir: Domain Config error : internal error no supported architecture
> for os type 'hvm'
>
> libvirt.libvirtError: internal error no supported architecture for os
> type 'hvm'

To me this is a bug. IMO, specifying either kvm or qemu should work.

> Basically, vmbuilder does the whole work, but dies on XML generation (if
> you use --debug, you actually get to see generated xml).

This is also a bug. Again, IMO qemu should work.

>  And if XML is
> created by hand, libvirt starts it with command:
>
> LC_ALL=C
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin
> QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/bin/qemu -S -M pc-0.12 -no-kvm -m 512 -smp 1
> -name test -uuid 7d78cbee-3832-ca61-ffdb-d3ec63c8db19 -chardev
> socket,id=monitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/test.monitor,server,nowait
> -monitor chardev:monitor -no-acpi -boot c -drive
> file=/home/ivoks/VM/test/tmpkP59W4.qcow2,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -net
> none -serial none -parallel none -usb -vnc 192.168.79.2:0 -vga cirrus
>
> And this fails (system never loads grub completely). But if 'boot=on'
> (in drive setup) is removed or replaced with 'boot=off' and then started
> by hand, everything works fine.

Another bug.

> Is all of this on purpose or is it a bug (or bugs)?

If all that is on purpose, I'd like to talk to the person who did it
this way. :) Seriously, I think these are just bugs/oversights which can
hopefully be easily fixed before release or in SRU.

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com