kqemu and Ubuntu

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Wed Apr 7 21:48:36 BST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Steve Langasek
<steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Dustin,
>
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:43:17PM -0500, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> This message is directed at users of Virtualization in Ubuntu, and
>> specifically those who use kqemu in versions of Ubuntu <= 9.04.
>
>> You may safely disregard this message if:
>>  * you do not care about Virtualization in Ubuntu (kqemu, qemu, kvm), or
>>  * you're already happily running Ubuntu 9.10, or Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, or
>>  * you are not using kqemu at all (see: dpkg -l kqemu*)
>
>> As discussed at UDS-Lucid in November last year, upstream QEMU has
>> completely dropped support for kqemu, and consequently will not be
>> available in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  The decision has been discussed at
>> length in several bug reports, mailing list posts, and in IRC.  I have
>> compiled a set of FAQs here, to help address the recurring questions:
>>  * http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/04/kqemu-and-ubuntu.html
>>  * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kqemu
>
>> My apologies for the cross-posting.  The Ubuntu Server Team is simply
>> trying to pro-actively notify users of Ubuntu users of kqemu ahead of
>> the 10.04 LTS release, and direct users with recurring questions to
>> the FAQ pages on the topic.
>
> Does this warrant a mention in the release notes at
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes>?

I don't mind writing a one-liner for the ReleaseNotes, but I'd say
that it's really at your discretion.

If you want to add a note, you can use this text:

"Support of kqemu has been deprecated since Ubuntu 9.04.  Users of
kqemu should migrate to KVM (which requires a CPU with VT extensions),
or perhaps consider VirtualBox as an alternative in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
For more information, see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kqemu"

:-Dustin