Gnome-settings-daemon CRTC configuration fix testing

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 6 17:30:15 BST 2010

Hello all,

I've developed a fix for bug 484186 [1] that could use some testing
given how close we are to the release. The gist of the issue is that
gnome-settings-daemon is failing to set the display configuration
after resume on some systems. This seems to occur on Intel graphics,
like the pinetrail netbook I have been testing on. If you open the lid
and start typing the screen should flicker once as the display
configuration is set up (the fact this happens only after typing on
the kb is another issue not resolved here). If you encounter this bug
you will see a notification pop up saying:

Could not switch the monitor configuration
could not set the configuration for CRTC <some number>

The fix I have proposed resolves the failing configuration call.
However, given some other related issues it is not definite that
allowing this call to occur at all is the best route. I have done some
testing and found that my fix does improve behavior when suspending
with a VGA cable connected and resuming with it disconnected. Without
the fix, the internal LVDS screen on a laptop will fail to configure
and the user would be required to ssh into the machine to reconfigure
it. However, it would be helpful if more people could test this out to
determine if there are any issues with the fix.

If you are interested in the details of this issue, please see the bug
report, which is also linked to the proposed patch through a bzr
branch.

Thanks!

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/484186

-- Chase