Patch Tagging Guidelines (aka DEP3) -- Adopting in Ubuntu?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Thu Sep 24 14:15:17 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:46:50AM +0100, James Westby wrote:
> > I'd like to update our PatchTaggingGuidelines to refer to the DEP3
> > now, and give some updated Ubuntu examples.
>
> However, it's not clear that they are finalised, given further discussion
> on debian-devel. While it may not be an incompatible change, are we
> better off playing "wait and see" to avoid perhaps switching twice?

FWIW, the initiative (as obvious from the subject line) is following the
DEP process. A consequence of that is that it will be (hopefully) clear
when the proposal is finalized, i.e., when it reaches the ACCEPTED
state. The state can be monitored both in the DEP text itself and at
http://dep.debian.net/ .

As Raphael said, the current CANDIDATE version is relatively stable, but
you might want to wait for ACCEPTED before starting "traducing" your
current metadata.

In case you intend to fully adhere to DEP3, it would be nice to state it
more clearly in the wiki page, so that we avoid duplicated (and possibly
incoherent documentation). I'm confident that, if you have purely
wording / presentation improvements that justify having different doc,
Raphael (as the current DEP driver) will be willing to integrate that in
the main text.

Cheers.