Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

ajmctaggart ajmctaggart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 16:42:48 BST 2009

Obviously Store is not very popular, nor Center.  So what is it that we are
trying to accomplish with the title of this piece of Ubuntu?  Will it be
unique and solely on Ubuntu?  Or will this be installable on other distros
and therefore we want to keep the word "Ubuntu" out of the title?  Libs are
obviously not nearly as "cool" as actual applications, but will have to be
supported within this framework.  Are we trying to communicate a trading
post, or bazzar?  So what evokes this idea of a trading post or a bazaar in
a Ubuntu-esque fashion?

1) Marketplace
2) Creative Exchange
3) Open Market/ Open Exchange
4) Common Knowledge Market/ Exchange/Marketplace... (I don't want to start a
flame war on "Open," software or "Closed," software and the availability
from within this management tool)
5)  I don't have the wording, but what about the central idea behind a
Library?  You check out titles, you return them, etc...Very simiilar to what
this Synaptic replacement would allow...Anyone with some good ideas for a
"Library," wording?

Or are we going essentially for a "grass roots," kind of wording?

-Anthony