20090929.2 UEC install test

Thierry Carrez thierry.carrez at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 29 19:15:52 BST 2009

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>  * Autoregistration still fails. Waiting more seems to help, but it
>> still randomly fails, whatever time you wait. The error is always
>> "ERROR: you need to be on the CLC host and the CLC needs to be
>> running.". After a few sudo stop eucalyptus / sudo start eucalyptus" it
>> worked. It seems to be purely random. I have no clue how to fix that,
>> hopefully the Eucalyptus guys can help when testing the 20090929.2. I'm
>> tempted to consider this a known beta issue at that point, and recommend
>> manual registration if autoregister failed. I reopened bug 438602 to
>> track that.
>
> What steps have you taken to debug this so far?  I suggest adding some
> simple logging to the upstart jobs so that you can confirm the order and
> timing of the steps and find out where it is going wrong.

Logging would definitely help. Apparently it's not just a timing/race
issue, it's also unstable. Dan Nurmi will try to reproduce and help
debug. Our best lead so far is using the same external address as the
walrus component uses (since it's the only one to register properly).

> Dustin, Mathias, can you help chase this since it's the evening for Thierry?

We discussed it during the team meeting. Dustin will follow up for the
US shift, Mathias will assist in reproduction/debugging.

I suggested that if we can't fix it reliably by the end of the day, it
should be a known bug for beta. The idea is to get an ISO toasted with
at least the /var/run/eucalyptus/net fix by the end of the day, an ISO
which I'll test first thing tomorrow morning.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team