Karmic touch pad request

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:20:39 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 20:42, Erik Andersen <erik.b.andersen at gmail.com>wrote:

> As far as disabling the touch pad while typing, it will solve the most
> common reason people turn the touch pad off. At the same time, I think it
> would be pretty hard physically to use the touch pad and keyboard at the
> same time and most programs wouldn't require require you to do this anyways.
> On top of that, this feature could also be turned off by advanced users. So
> that way, we would (hopefully) have a win-win situation.

My 0.2 cents worth.

I've used (as in "worked with for a long time") at least four different
notebooks over the past year or two. I`ve used them with Windows and Ubuntu.

In all cases, one of the first things that I did (in Windows) was to disable
the touch pad while typing. It`s amazing at how frequently I would touch the
pad while typing. Sometimes the cursor would simply move and I would take a
few keypresses to note that I was not writing where I meant to. It broke my
flow, and was a huge problem for me.

One of the things that most distressed me with Ubuntu was that I didn't had
as much control over the touchpad as I had with Windows. On at least one
case it was something that stopped me from using Ubuntu on a particularly
"unsupported" notebook (I think it was a Toshiba but I may be wrong).

So, by all means, disable touchpad while typing is a mus; it should be easy
to select, and perhaps it could even be the default setting.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com