Sponsorship Process (Was: Re: Packaging Help)

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 23:50:48 BST 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep yep. Theoretically, subscribing the sponsors is all you have to do. But
> then we all know the difference between theory and reality.

I suppose that's a really good reason to encourage active contributors
to seek MOTU privileges if they aren't already.

> and all that.  But it seems many sponsors have no idea what to do when asked
> "can you sponsor this?" and pointed to a bug with a branch attached.  AFAICT,

Sponsors _need_ to know what to do when asked to sponsor something. I
would go as far as to say it's a responsibility that comes with the
privilege of uploading to universe and multiverse.

In fact, it sounds like a prime developer classroom - or even Open
Week - session.

> they have to branch trunk and your branch, then manually bzr merge, then
> upload.  It makes more sense to me to just have a "Merge!" button on the Merge
> Request page in LaunchPad (only for people with permissions to merge into that
> package's branch, that is).  That'd be easier even than debdiffs for the
> sponsors, I think.

While that's a great longer term approach, we still need to address
the issue of blocking on uploads. And, as Scott mentioned a few
moments ago, it's really incumbent on the potential sponsors to follow
through with due diligence, some of which is esoteric.

-Dan