Question regarding the new login theme and using other gdm themes

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:02:13 BST 2009

On Monday 28,September,2009 08:58 PM, Dennis Beekman wrote:
> I have to say that 9.10 alpha 5 looks great for my home computer and i
> will surtainly install the Beta and RC releases aswell... to follow the
> changes made to them.
>
> However something bothers me and noboddy else can answer this issue on
> any forums.
> The school where i do the IT Managment requires that the login screen
> has they're logo and a wallpaper chosen by them....
>
> Before this was not difficult, i had adapted a gdm theme wich installed.
> but in the Alpha 5 of ubuntu i cannot change gdm themes anymore or so it
> seems.
> when i either select it from the menu or call "gdmsetup" from a console
> i can only select whether is wish to automagically login on not :-(
>
> Will this be a permanent change in Ubuntu or will the function to change
> gdm themes be added later in the development process ?
> If this is added i would need to start searching for an alternate distro
> to use at this location as the gdm theme is required...
>
> If one of the developers could kindly mail me the answer to this
> question it would help me greatly and would grant me a little extra time
> to find a alternative.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Digging around my computer has led me to fine a package called
"ubuntu-xsplash-artwork", which contains the following files:
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-xsplash-artwork
/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-xsplash-artwork/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-xsplash-artwork/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-xsplash-artwork/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/images
/usr/share/images/xsplash
/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1024x768.jpg
/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1280x1024.jpg
/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1440x900.jpg
/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1680x1050.jpg
/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_1920x1200.jpg
/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg
/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_800x600.jpg
/usr/share/images/xsplash/logo_large.png
/usr/share/images/xsplash/logo_medium.png
/usr/share/images/xsplash/logo_small.png
/usr/share/images/xsplash/logo_xtra_large.png
/usr/share/images/xsplash/throbber_large.png
/usr/share/images/xsplash/throbber_medium.png
/usr/share/images/xsplash/throbber_small.png
/usr/share/images/xsplash/throbber_xtra-large.png

I think if you replace these files, you should be able to customize xsplash's
appearance to your needs.

I'm not sure about customizing the new GDM though.
--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin