Packaging Help

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Sep 22 11:32:21 BST 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:51:16 +0200 Soren Hansen <soren at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:43:46AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> I see the sense of the theory, but PPAs are built on Ubuntu, not part
>> of Ubuntu.  Much as development on Ubuntu is offtopic in
>> #ubuntu-devel, I don't think this is something we have the resources
>> to take on.
>
>This is not true. We've got a /lot/ of time and ressources. We just
>choose to use them differently. I'm not being pedantic, I honestly
>believe this difference is essential. It may be perfectly reasonable for
>us to /decide/ that we don't want to shift our priorities to accomodate
>this new task, but we /do/ have the power to make that decision. Saying
>that we don't have the ressources skews the discussion by making us seem
>helplessly determined when we're really not.

That's true.  I am making the assumption that developing Ubuntu is a higher
priority than other things.

I'm all in favor of helping with PPA packaging when it is for packages that
are evntually aimed at Ubuntu or when it would help us increase our
developer base.  My experience though is that this seems to me to be a
small fraction of the userbase of PPAs.

Fundamentally, we could decide that Ubuntu is a small maintained core
surrounded by a cloud of PPAs and this work is exactly what we should do
doing.  I think that would be an extremely poor decision.

Scott K