[launchpad-net] RFC: EC2 / UEC Image updates

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Wed Sep 16 10:44:54 BST 2009

Scott Moser wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Eric Hammond wrote:
>
>> Scott Moser wrote:

> The Jaunty kernel right now has issues in some zones (bug 398568).  The
> Intrepid kernel also has issues (bug 415032), but they're less severe (no
> console output).
>
> Do you think that servicing Jaunty is useful without addressing 398568 ?
> I don't see a lot of value in refreshing the user space image, and leaving
> the kernel unstable, and don't know that we have the resources right now
> to dedicate towards getting the kernel stable.

We do have a xenified Jaunty kernel that in very limited testing addresses
398568.   So that is a possible route, of course it has not been widely tested
and needs more work put into it if we were to go that route.

> It may be an option to pursue using the karmic kernel with jaunty and
> intrepid userspace, and servicing them that way.  The one issue I see with
> that is in making modules available (bug 429169) to them.  I've not tested
> whether or not karmic kernel packages will install in jaunty or intrepid
> userspace without issues.  If not, its not a huge issue, but would require
> some solution.

This is possible and works quite well, but I can't guarantee that there won't be
some issues.

john