Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed Sep 2 00:28:45 BST 2009

Moins,

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:22:04 +0100
Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> (adding back ubuntu-desktop@)
>
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Stephan Hermann<sh at sourcecode.de>
> wrote:
> > The reason why anybodies blood start to boil right now, when they
> > hear "Ubuntu Software
> > {Store,Shop,Market,Wholesale,Supermarket,etc.pp}" is that Canonical
> > right now is not making a big deal out of it. They tell you "We
> > will go and we will sell commercial software with this
> > tool"..that's more then transparent, and that's more then other
> > "sponsoring companies" are telling their community.
>
> For the record, that's not the reason behind my objection. Actually, I
> haven't seen *anywhere* on this entire thread any suggestion that this
> application shouldn't make commercial software available.

Hopefully I never wrote this...

Furthermore, my message shouldn't be read "Canonical will or does sell
commercial software"...(I don't know, I won't know and I really doesn't
want to know, 'cause I don't care).

Fact is, that those "Naming" issues, especially those who

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 11:07 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Unfortunately the naming was one thing that had to be done within
> Canonical, for boring legal reasons.

are discussed behind close curtains, will give a "bad light" to a
project which needs to stay out of the "red light district".

The fact that many people are working on that project, but only one
main sponsor has something to say about some parts of it, could give
some serious problems (as those boring things I mentioned). Essentially
when the name of the project is involved (Means: Ubuntu).

IMHO (REALLY IMHO!) it would be a good idea to have an announcement or
a "full disclosure" from Mark^WCanonical about the Future.

Really, I don't care where we are going to, the only thing I do care
about is

a) stability
b) reliability
c) productivity

We're are "far from it", but we are going the right way...and we all
need to "pay" for it. In one way or the other, but I think it would be
good to have an overview about things "we" want to do, and where "we"
want to go. The problem is that many people don't see the goal or the
plan. ("we" means here: The Ubuntu Project, The Ubuntu Community and
the Full Time Sponsor Canonical Ltd. just shuffle the order)

Regards,
\sh

PS: The only goal I have is to be a good father to my child(ren?),
"nothing else matters" (MeTaLlIcA).

PPS: @Martin, the mail I send wasn't meant personal...it's just that the
"ramblings" are really boring, because actually we can't do anything to
solve it right now.