My Ubuntu 9.04 experience

Steven Harms thisdyingdream at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 15:17:01 BST 2009

To address all of the points:

1) Ubuntu-artwork team is addressing this, and a new theme will be in
Lucid (10.04)
2) We install faster, and with less clicks
(http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benchmarked-ubuntu-vs-vista-vs-windows-7)
3) Screens darken during the install due to inactivity.  If you want
to adjust the preferences just go to System -> Preferences -> Power
Management.  We don't assume you want your monitor to use power 24/7,
that is a feature.
4) This is graphics hardware specific, and we always recommend you use
hardware supported by open source drivers.  The boot process has been
revamped in 9.10, and you may see a significant difference.
5) We fully support both the operating system and applications shipped
with it, which causes more updates than just the OS alone.  In a
windows world, you update each individual application instead of the
system.
6) Install the updates first, then the proprietary driver.
7) You can bring up the proprietary driver dialog from
System->Administration->Hardware
8) Just pick the first one by default.
9) Please file a bug in launchpad against jockey if this still happens
in Karmic (9.10)
10) This is likely due to your graphics driver, which is not open source.

Linux is free, we have millions of users, and suck is just not
quantifiable.  Good luck with Windows, hope it works out for you.

Thanks,

Steven Harms

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Steve Summers <stevedsummers at email.com> wrote:
> My Ubuntu 9.04 experience: (8/9/09)
>
> 1) Brown is ugly.
> 2) Install took a long time.
> 3) Screen darkened (slept) during install, stupid.
> 4) Green line on right side of boot-up splash screen, looks bad.
> 5) Way too many updates after install.
> 6) Which should I install first, the updates, or the proprietary driver?
> 7) After updates, the reminder for the proprietary driver didn't come back.
> 8) Too many boot options.
> 9) During installation of proprietary driver, progress bar stayed at 0% for
> a long time.  When I clicked the progress bar, it shot up to 86%
> immediately.  Obviously a glitch.
> 10) After re-boot, ('restart now' option should be in the driver update
> dialog box, but isn't,) got 'out of scan range' on my monitor.
>
> I'm thinking: Linux sucks.
>
> Kubuntu is buggy as hell.
> PCLinuxOS has no 64-bit version.
> Mandriva's download page is blank.  Can't even download it.
>
> I'll be migrating from Windows XP 32-bit, to Windows 7 64-bit.  Not Ubuntu,
> or any Linux.  Maybe next year.
>
> Assuming I want to deal with more crap, please answer my question:  Which
> should I install first, the updates, or the proprietary driver?
>
> Thank-you, and good luck with your OS!
>

> --
> Be Yourself @ mail.com
> Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
> Get a Free Account at www.mail.com!

GPG Key ID: C92EF367 / 1428 FE8E 1E07 DDA8 EFD7 195F DCCD F5B3 C92E F367

WWW: http://www.sharms.org/blog