size of uec images

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 8 12:07:12 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 03:08:34AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Is there any reason we can't ship these as img.tar.gz instead of
> img.gz?

The only reason I can think of is that there are already scripts "out
there" that fetch these images expecting to be able to unpack them in a
particular way.

> My understanding is that images have to be uncompressed for rebundling
> on the end user's system before they can be used on UEC anyway, right?
> In that case, 'tar xf' should be no harder than 'gunzip', hopefully
> it's just a small documentation change.

Another good reason to make this change: The bundling tool actually does
exactly what you suggest: It "tar -S | gzip"'s the image. We could
potentially add an option to the bundling tool to tell it that the image
is already in that format, so that we could skip the decompress step
altogether.

--
Soren Hansen                 |
Lead virtualisation engineer | Ubuntu Server Team