Shared pidgin releases and vcs-pkg

Vincent Untz vuntz at novell.com
Fri May 29 03:02:31 BST 2009

Le dimanche 24 mai 2009, à 18:27 -0400, Olivier Crête a écrit :
> On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 01:14 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> > > 5) Do we really want to encourage direct sharing of patches between
> > > distros? Wouldn't we want to get them upstream ASAP if they're useful
> > > and cut a new release?
> >
> > Yes, that would be ideal, but in my experience upstream does not make that easy.
>
> From my Gentoo point of view, I prefer not to ship any patches that are
> not already upstream. So having some kind of Git tree isn't so useful.

It's more or less the same for openSUSE -- we prefer to avoid adding
patches, unless really needed. That being said, having everything in
git can't hurt, and it might help for patches that we might need to keep
around, indeed.

In the case of pidgin, we have some patches since before I started
contributing to openSUSE, and I have absolutely no idea what to do with
them... If people are interested in reviewing them/pushing them
upstream, help is welcome. You can easily download them from
http://tmp.vuntz.net/opensuse-packages/browse.py?project=GNOME:Factory&package=pidgin

Cheers,

Vincent

--