Testing Kernel Mode-setting on Intel

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu May 28 09:57:37 BST 2009

Hi everyone,

In the not too distant future we will be switching on Kernel
Mode-setting by default for Intel graphics users.  So far we've had
several people test it, with good results.  It's stable, performs well,
vt switching and suspend/resume are fast, etc.  We'd like more -intel
users to give it a try.

If you are on Karmic with -intel, you already have everything you need
installed, and just need to make a couple config settings to switch it
on.  The kernel team and I have documented these steps here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting

If you try it, please also add your testing results to the above page.

Thanks!

Bryce

P.S., Jaunty -intel users can also give it a try, although it's a bit
more work to set up as you have to upgrade X and the kernel - see the
above page for details.

For nVidia and ATI hardware owners, we plan to get you some KMS stuff
to test too, but for now just stay tuned.