Best practice for reporting bugs

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 27 07:40:56 GMT 2009

Reinhard Tartler [2009-03-26 11:11 +0100]:
> Is it feasible to backport apport to hardy and intrepid?

Most of apport backports well, the code doesn't do anything Python
2.6-only.

However, the bit people are probably most interested in is
apport-collect, and that's where the trouble starts. Hardy doesn't
ship launchpadlib yet, and intrepid's has an older version with some
incompatibilities. Intrepid's version is just compatible
enough for apport-collect, though, which is why I put apport-collect
at [2], so that bug triagers can refer bug reporters to it on intrepid.

My ppa [1] has hardy and intrepid backports of the required
launchpadlib bits.

The current jaunty apport itself is not really suitable for an SRU by
the standard policy; it has many new features, changed strings, etc.
We could provide it in *-backports, but few people use that.

Martin

[1] https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/ppa
[2] http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/scripts/apport-collect