Best practice for reporting bugs

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Wed Mar 25 14:08:44 GMT 2009

(some more apport wish list items below)

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Apport should probably start using ionice.

And nice as well would be useful, at least for me it's CPU bound.

> For me, it pops up right away with a progress bar.  It does take a long time
> before I can file the bug, because it's reading the dpkg database, which
> takes forever, in order to find out which package the program belongs to.
> You can skip that if you invoke ubuntu-bug with a package name.

For me apport will take 100% CPU for about 20-30 seconds before _any_ UI shows
up. It would be useful to be able to cancel _before_ it hogs all those resources.

I have GNOME system monitor so I can see it there first and then I usually
type dmesg to confirm that it was a SEGV and in what app, and then I just sit
back waiting for apport to finish hogging the CPU.

I got a quad core machine though and it only uses 1/4th of the CPU so for me
it's not that bad, but I can image for single core machines it must be horrible.

Also note that it hogs more CPU for bigger apps so it's probably saving the
crash dump that's taking time (not sure why that takes so much CPU but it does).

		Martin