Keyring password (Re: Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 25 14:12:44 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:53:19PM +0000, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le mercredi 25 mars 2009 à 13:21 +0000, Matt Zimmerman a écrit :
> > 1. User installs a brand new Ubuntu system
> > 2. User attempts to connect to their home wireless network
> > 3. Ubuntu asks them for the wireless access key
> > 4. User provides the access key
> > 5. Ubuntu asks them for a new password they have never heard of
> >
> > Is there something else we could do to improve it, which would be better
> > than what was suggested?
>
> "Ubuntu asks them for a new password they have never heard of", do you
> mean that the wording is unclear? Because they did set this password
> during the installation or when adding the user

The dialog asks them to set a new password.  The right thing to do is for
them to simply enter their login password, but that is not clear.  See the
attached screenshot.

The problem with the dialog is that it strongly indicates that this is a new
password, for a new purpose, and does not hint that the existing login
password is a good choice.

An alternative would be to prompt, by default, for the login password (in a
single text box), and offer a radio button to choose to create a different
password instead.

> Do we want consider autologin as a less secure option? One thing we could
> do is to set an empty keyring password when autologin is selected during
> the installation

Yes, autologin is a less secure option.  I think it's still OK to prompt for
the password to protect the keyring though, so long as it's obvious what to
do.

Maybe we could create the keyring at install time when we have the password?

--
 - mdz