Keyring password (Re: Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One)

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 25 13:53:19 GMT 2009

Le mercredi 25 mars 2009 à 13:21 +0000, Matt Zimmerman a écrit :
> Can you agree that the following user experience is not ideal?

Oh I totally agree with that and that's an issue for some years now,
I'm just not sure what we can do to fix it

> 1. User installs a brand new Ubuntu system
> 2. User attempts to connect to their home wireless network
> 3. Ubuntu asks them for the wireless access key
> 4. User provides the access key
> 5. Ubuntu asks them for a new password they have never heard of
>
> Is there something else we could do to improve it, which would be
> better
> than what was suggested?

"Ubuntu asks them for a new password they have never heard of", do you
mean that the wording is unclear? Because they did set this password
during the installation or when adding the user

Do we want consider autologin as a less secure option? One thing we
could do is to set an empty keyring password when autologin is selected
during the installation

Sebastien Bacher