Installation report for UNR 20090324 on Acer Aspire One

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:25:34 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 11:07 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I installed with auto-login enabled, and when I connected to a WPA network,
> I was prompted for a password to create the default keyring.
>
> Is this because I chose auto-login?  Is there any way to avoid this awkward
> prompt?
I believe it'll prompt you on your first log in (and first connection to
an encrypted network). Then, if you set a password that's not blank, it
will prompt you for a password when you log in.

However, if libpam-keyring is installed, auto-login is disabled, and
your keyring password is the same as your login password, it'll
auto-unlock your keyring when you log in. The reason for this is that
libpam-keyring takes the password you have typed in at GDM to unlock
your keyring when you log in.

If you use auto-login and do not want to type in your keyring password,
then you have to use a blank password for your keyring, after which
it'll prompt you asking if you want to use unsecured storage.
--
Chow Loong Jin