It is 2009 and I am still hearing my pc speaker

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Fri Mar 20 18:43:47 GMT 2009

Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 18:21 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I don't usually pipe up on discussions on the list, but as a long time
>>> Unix/Linux user, I would vote heavily against removing the system
>>> speaker bell, especially when the system is used with no X environment
>>> or sound card.
>>>
>> On a server I wouldn't dream of doing that!
>>
> My servers sit in a server room, air-conditioned and locked up. If it
> beeps, I can't hear it. And in a room where there are many servers, even
> if I was there to hear it, I wouldn't know which server was beeping. It
> shouldn't make a difference on servers IMO.

What I always do in that I run this command on new Ubuntu systems to "fix" them:
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/audible_bell 0

This removes the PC-speaker beep from all the places where I find it annoying.
For example, when you write up a terminal and you press backspace even though
you didn't type any characters yet.

If unloading the module is controversial, let's disable it at the GUI level
at least? I completely agree that I don't want to bear another PC-speaker
beep in my life plx :) Some machines have incredibly annoying beeps while
others are barely audible at all. So the actual effect of invoking a
PC-speaker beep have to be considered "unknown" (and and such pointless?)

However, a while back my desktop started to continously beep the PC-speaker
when I was compiling stuff. Apparently my CPUs were overheating and I was
very very happy that it beeped so I figured it out (I didnt have lm_sensors
installed originally). Maybe that behavior won't be affected by unloading the
module though (in case it's hardwired from the CPU to the PC-speaker? not sure)

		Martin