Shutdown sequence and Network filesystems

Thierry Carrez thierry.carrez at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 18 08:22:57 GMT 2009

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 08:48 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> Exactly, you can't really have network maintained by bits in /usr and
>> /usr on NFS either. I think on NM-enabled desktops, the use case of
>> mounting a samba share from your music library NAS is more common than
>> having /usr-on-NFS, and keeping one broken to make sure the other is
>> properly handled might not be the best response...
>>
> I'm not sure I agree with this.
>
> Network Manager is aimed sufficiently at the desktop case that accessing
> things like samba shares are more likely to be handled via the GVfs
> layer (ie. smb:/// in nautilus) than by making mounts.

Yes, I tend to agree with you. That was part of my question on what use
cases we should support for mounting network filesystems.

If the general consensus here is that we don't support mounting network
filesystems (through classic mounts) when networking is handled by
session-related tools like NetworkManager, then those bugs should just
be closed as wontfix.

The two supported use cases would be:
- Define your connection in /etc/network/interfaces rather than
NetworkManager -> use whatever you want
- use NetworkManager to manage your connection -> only use gvfs mounts

That means we should concentrate on fixing gvfs support in most desktop
applications (think bug 273294, "Rhythmbox can not use smb:// as library
location"), rather than hardcoding workarounds in the shutdown sequence.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team || Canonical Ltd.