X startup times: Jaunty vs. Moblin

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Mar 12 21:21:51 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:42:08PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:14:14PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Matt Zimmerman [2009-03-12 17:47 +0000]:
> > > The intel section of the log is still completely different from the moblin
> > > log.  It seems to do the same thing over and over.  Is there anything in the
> > > moblin xorg.conf?
> >
> > Could that be related to gnome-settings-daemon and perhaps other GNOME
> > programs to do expensive Xrandr calls over and over?
>
> The messages being printed look very reminiscent of that class of issue,
> although note in the log it's only one (well, two) sets of calls, so
> that feels more like a one time thing such as you'd see during init.
>
> As a general rule, the Xserver does video set up first, and then input
> setup.  So when you see monitor resolution messaging after input device
> setup messages, that often indicates activity post-init.

So... getting back to the original issue, I think the stuff scott is
interested in is prior to the EDID probing stuff at timestamp 5.x and
later.

In the black case, the log indicates X has completed init at 2.7 sec.
Whatever is happening between 2.7 and 3.5 may not be due to X.  The
black bootchart indicates X is mostly sleeping during this period (and
perhaps handling a few client calls or something).

gdm clearly is taking about a third of a second to itself, following X
startup but before x-session-manager.  In the white case, startx is used
instead.

Another note of possible relevance is that X depends on hal now, for
input device stuff.  I notice in the white log, that hald has completed
its work before X begins (looks like it sleeps until hald is done?)
Whereas in the black case, there seems to be hald activity going on in
parallel with the X startup.  Not sure what it means, but it looks
interesting.  I notice in the moblin patches is one that indicates some
sort of hald synchronization.  (Scott, mind tossing the patches up
somewhere for us to poke through?)

Bryce