X startup times: Jaunty vs. Moblin

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 12 19:30:41 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:30:06AM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 05:47:57PM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > > Sure.
> > >
> > > Attached.
> > >
> > > The startup time is the same, but since their intel driver enables UXA -
> > > this brings compiz to a crawl and the rest of the boot takes a few
> > > seconds longer as a result.
> >
> > The intel section of the log is still completely different from the moblin
> > log.  It seems to do the same thing over and over.  Is there anything in the
> > moblin xorg.conf?
>
> No I doubt there's anything unusual in the xorg.conf.
>
> The sequence of monitor probe stuff starting at 5.x seconds looks like
> xrandr calls, almost certainly from some client program rather than from
> X itself.  Perhaps those are from gnome-settings-daemon?  Do you have a
> ~/.config/monitors.xml on one system but not the other maybe?

Good point.  I thought this was just the server startup, but I suppose it's
starting the desktop as well.  In that case, there's only about a 1.5-second
difference:

[    2.748010] (--) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad touchpad found
[1 sec: 176762 usec](--) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad touchpad found

--
 - mdz