X startup times: Jaunty vs. Moblin

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Mar 12 18:30:06 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 05:47:57PM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 05:41:22PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 16:47 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > > The "white" intel driver points 93 messages total.  The "black" one prints 603
> > > messages.  3 modelines vs. 82 modelines.  Something is definitely very
> > > different here.
> > >
> > > Any chance you could try swapping in their intel_drv.so?
> > >
> > Sure.
> >
> > Attached.
> >
> > The startup time is the same, but since their intel driver enables UXA -
> > this brings compiz to a crawl and the rest of the boot takes a few
> > seconds longer as a result.
>
> The intel section of the log is still completely different from the moblin
> log.  It seems to do the same thing over and over.  Is there anything in the
> moblin xorg.conf?

No I doubt there's anything unusual in the xorg.conf.

The sequence of monitor probe stuff starting at 5.x seconds looks like
xrandr calls, almost certainly from some client program rather than from
X itself.  Perhaps those are from gnome-settings-daemon?  Do you have a
~/.config/monitors.xml on one system but not the other maybe?

Bryce