kubuntu images falling behind in package versions on daily builds?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 11 14:18:20 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:31:00PM -0500, Jerone Young wrote:
> A user noticed the kubuntu is falling behind on package versions in
> daily builds. There is an observation showing kubuntu being a week
> behind in package versions for some packages vs the Ubuntu build?

It's important to understand how Ubuntu and Kubuntu work when dealing
with this kind of problem. Ubuntu and Kubuntu share the exact same
archive and so it is not possible for either to "fall behind" the other
in general.

On looking at the bug, I see that the question is in fact about Kubuntu
CD builds (please be specific about this in future; CD builds are only
one part of the distribution). Now, it *is* possible for the Kubuntu CD
build process to fail, which will result in CDs still having old
packages. For example, the live filesystem builds for Kubuntu on i386
failed from the 6th to the 9th of March due to a broken package (in
fact, the same problem on all four days):

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/livefs-build-logs/jaunty/kubuntu/20090306/livecd-20090306-i386.out
  http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/livefs-build-logs/jaunty/kubuntu/20090307/livecd-20090307-i386.out
  http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/livefs-build-logs/jaunty/kubuntu/20090308/livecd-20090308-i386.out
  http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/livefs-build-logs/jaunty/kubuntu/20090309/livecd-20090309-i386.out

This happens sometimes (indeed, quite frequently) during development. We
always resolve such problems before filing a milestone release, and so
it is not in general necessary to post to ubuntu-devel asking whether
Kubuntu is falling behind; it's just a routine problem that we fix in
the normal course of events.

Cheers,