Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 8 22:46:28 GMT 2009

> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 22:45 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > Currently this package is neither recommended nor suggested by pidgin.  It
> > seems to me this should at least be a suggests and probably a recommends
> > (it's seeded in ubuntu-desktop, but it seems like something pidgin users
> > from other flavors would want)?

Suggests would be fine, but I'd object against recommends. After all,
pidgin works just fine without it.

Also, since apparently the messaging indicator only works well with
notify-osd, and notify-osd isn't installed by default in all flavours,
we should handle this through the *-desktop packages IMHO, at least
for Jaunty.

Ted Gould [2009-03-07 14:57 +0000]:
> Perhaps we could discuss this with everyone at the next Ubuntu Desktop
> meeting?

Sure, we can talk that. I'll also have some questions about the
remaining plan for Jaunty, since right now the m-i/pidgin integration
and default configuration is still very poor IMHO.

Thanks,

Martin