Notification Desktop File

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at
Sat Mar 7 16:09:05 GMT 2009

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:59:19 +0000 Ted Gould <ted at> wrote:
>We've been discussing the desktop file for the notifications on this
>And it came down to we need to figure out which sessions should have
>notify-osd and which should have notification-daemon.  Could the various
>*buntu's speak up about which they'd like so we can build an effective
>case statement here?
I'm sure everyone will speak up, but in the meantime, looking at the
package dependencies, notify-osd is pulled in for ubuntu-desktop,
mythbuntu-desktop, and ubuntustudio-desktop.  I think that unless you get
information to the contrary it's reasonably safe to assume those want
notify-osd and others do not.

For Kubuntu (no suprise), I think notification-daemon is the better
approach for notifications for non-KDE applications.  Since Ichthux derives
from Kubuntu, I think the same would be true for ichthux-desktop.

Scott K