Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:38:25 GMT 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 1:49:06 pm Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:11:22 -0500 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Monday 02 March 2009 12:01:34 pm Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> Couldn't some kind of indicator about available updates go here so they
> >aren't hidden from users for up to a week?
> >
> >Or so the KDE users know we need to switch to GNOME?  There's no indicator
> >plasmoid yet, so Pidgin's functionality is rather broken in KDE right now.
>
> Does it work better with the orginal libnotify instead of notify-osd?  I
> suspect that any use of notify-osd by users of other Ubuntu flavors is
> unlikely to end well.

With libnotify I still had the Show button. Discovering that not using a
notification icon in the notification area makes Pidgin's buddylist invisible
until I poke through ~/.purple/buddlist.xml and set it to always show an icon
...yeah that wasn't fun.  Yes a bug is filed for that.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo